Old July 11th 03, 11:56 PM
Barbara Bowen

I do traditional rug hooking and buy alot of 100% wool clothing at thrift
stores. I also buy 100% wool on ebay....do a search and type in rughooking.
I also dye my wool for this. I try to buy light colored wool and then use
wool dyes to color. To felt wool, all I do is throw wool (even pieces from
thrift store whole) into my washer and wash in hot water. Then into dryer
and dry on hot setting. If it doesn't felt enough then redo it until you
like the felting. When I dye, I sometimes boil the wool in the dye on my
stove. Use enamel pans....not metal for this. and then set it with vinegar.
If you plan to dye then soak it the night before in dishwasher rinse It
helps the wool to absorb water. I have dyed with onion skins, blueberries
and tea. I have heard you can dye with koolade too. You just don't get the
intense colors as using the dye. But boiling it will also felt the wool.
HOpe this helps. Barb