Old March 26th 10, 01:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default Press left, press right

Breaking rules And cutting corners? That has a delightful ring to it. I'll
join you. Polly

"Pat S" I've grown up to press seams open, too, Polly. I love the
flatter look
on the top. I do press dry first, though, just in case of a sneaky pleat!
Then when I've checked the other side, I'll use the steam.
I've even thought that I will practise Judy Mathieson's foundation paper
piecing method, where you can choose your seam pressing 'direction', so
that I can press them open. I have done it once or twice, but it is
slower for me until I get more used to it. That has been the only fault I
have found with that technique.
I shall be breaking rules and cutting corners a lot over the next three
weeks! (not necessarily in quilting though).
.
, Polly Esther

We've all heard the Quilt Police. Press this way; press that. Aim
toward the feed dogs, aim away. Pin before and aft and in the middle. Sew
over pins. Don't.
I've declared myself an 'expert'. For those of you who don't know, an
expert is someone 50 miles away from home with a briefcase.
Bringing forward my dress making experience and my heirloom sewing
along too - I have decided to ignore the rules and press my quilt
piecing/block seams open.
Yes.
I have.
Just in case that would make the seam endings weaker or more prone to
come undone, I've set my stitch length a little shorter.
Ta-Dah.
I've just make a quilt top of something so sweet: Tweetie Bird on
bright yellow combined with a batik of Blue Jay blue. Every ... need to
HOLLER he corner. Every one of them is pretty perfect.
Open pressing just works so much better for me. Conclusion? Let's
all go out and break some rules. After all . .. there's a full moon.
Polly