Old March 22nd 12, 03:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Default Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

Craftsy wrote:
"BEI Design" wrote:

[...]

Has anyone figured out anything that works?

You could try something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-921-Cone.../dp/B0019KDYL2

Either to hold the cone and then thread to the rest of
the needle-threading path, or to hold the cone and wind
bobbins,
then use them in place of spools.

I have a couple like that, I use them when I need to use
serger cones on my Singer.

NAYY,

I KNEW it; I just knew there had to be something out
there, either that I could buy or make. I'll print that
page out and take it to that store to see if they sell
this type of thing.

Your local fabric store probably has them on the notions
wall.

Good thing I don't trust one
person's answer and let that discourage me g.

??? Perhaps you received a reply from someone in my
killfile, I did not see any other rely than my own.

Thanks! I also love the idea of going and going and
going without running out of thread, too!

You're welcome. If you sew lots of black, white, navy, and
red, serger thread probably works fine, although keep in
mind that it is not as high a quality thread as sewing
machine thread. Serger thread is manufactured with a
specific use in mind: Serging. ;-} And since serging lays
down three or four threads each pass, it has to be somewhat
less bulky than regular sewing thread.

I like to color-match thread to fabric as closely as
possible, so serger threads do not do for much of my sewing.

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx