Old July 2nd 07, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bernadette

Default Moth help!

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:54:16 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

"Bernadette" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:11:03 +0100, Mary Fisher wrote:

Today I took out a shawl which a daughter knitted for me some years ago
from
her own spun Hebridean black wool from the two Heb ewe lambs I gave her.
She'd chosen the stitch 'candlelight' because I made beeswax candles.

It had huge holes in it and it's unsalvageable.

Does anyone know of any home moth-proofing system?

Obviously it will be for future items but we'd hate it to happen again.
We're both very unhappy (Spouse and I - I haven't told daughter yet).

Mary

It seems that lavender is a natural moth repellent Mary. One link you may
find helpful is at
http://www.pallensmith.com/newslette...ws_052104a.htm
where they give a "recipe" for making the mixture.

I'll have a proper look at that later, thank you.

I don't even mind using mothballs but they're not allowed to be sold here
any more :-(

PS My mother always just made lavender bags or used dry bay leaves and
that seemed to work).

Right. A son has a lavender hedge. He and I have bay trees.

Thanks, I'm so unhappy, of all things it would have to be this precious
shawl :-(

Mary

I know, it is sickening when that happens.

Your garden (and son's) sounds like mine. I have lavender, sage, thyme,
rosemary, parsley, lovage, bay leaves, tarragon and nasturtiums (so far)
and I'm always open to suggestions for other herbs if I'm likely to use
them. :-)