Old March 9th 17, 09:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Brian Christiansen

Default Wonder Clips and other random stuff

On 03/08/2017 11:28 AM, Night Mist wrote:

Nowdays we have but one school and they offer everything you need to make a gi, including after class sewing sessions, because they require the students (I imagine exceptions for the littlest ones) to make their own.

It would be quite interesting to know the reasoning behind that
requirement.

While it is indeed true that at one time companies like Century Martial
arts or Martial arts online did not exist, and one had to make their own
clothing whether it was am MA uniform or something else, that does not
make making a uniform a "traditional" part of martial arts.

I am very glad that they provide sewing machines and essentially sewing
lessons for those who do not know how to sew, and knowing how to sew, or
at least how to do some basics, are useful skills, but I think today it
is somewhat an unreasonable assumption to expect someone to do either of
those things.

A tai chi class I was in recently did not require any sort of uniform,
and what most people wore something like sweat pants or athletic shorts
and a t-shirt. I suppose you could have worn a regular karate gi if you
wanted as well, but no one did, so wearing one might look out of place,
though.

If some specific uniform was required, though I might have just bought
it, or I might have tried to find a appropriate pattern and make it.

When DD3 was starting Kendo in college, I helped her make her keikogi and hakama. we blew for 7 and a half ounce hemp, and threw it into the indigo pot. Saved a mint over buying it, even with the pricey fabric, and with what the rest of her gear cost that was kind of important. I gotta say, hemp wears like iron.

I have never used hemp in sewing, but I have heard very good things
about it, and a lightweight material (7 1/2 oz.) made of hemp might be
all that is needed, but in denim, I wouln't use anything less than 12 to
16 ounces for a karate uniform.

Even if a 7 oz material in hemp is heavy enough for a martial arts
uniform is enough, I might use the heavier weight material any way since
that is what I am used to.

--
My Yonkoma: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brian0...57680223526176

The E-mail associated with the account is a "spamcatcher" account that I
got to every couple of months to empty out, and anything sent to it will
not be seen for probably several months, if it is seen at all.
Brian Christiansen