Old February 4th 04, 08:56 AM
Cher

LOL Mirjam, what with Slinky's sweater down six sizes as well, this is a
real opposites thread ...lol.

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote in message
Dora , do you now use it as a dress or a coat ???
mirjam
On 04 Feb 2004 03:47:10 GMT, ospam (Bungadora)
wrote:

Delurking just for a comment.

I have my share of shrunken sweaters, mostly as a result of pure

laziness. I
hate hand washing, hate using cold water, and hate covering my living

room
floor with a sweater instead of a rug. And they take so bloody long to

dry. I
tried shrink a sweater on purpose once, though, to get a sweater into

shape. At
that time, however, I was a neophyte in the ways of sweaters, and didn't
realize that the yarn contained acrylic. The sweater stretched to my

knees. To
my KNEES!

You are flirting with catastrophe.
Dora

Slinky

So the sweater grew substantially during month of (near-)daily wear
since I finished it. 'Twas looking grubby, too, so I decided to wash
it today; this is possibly a mistake, as I'll be wearing it at the
retreat this weekend and it will undoubtedly become grubby again, but
anyhow.

Since the thing IS a bit on the large side and grew so much in wear I
decided to give it a bit of stirring up while I washed it. So I
filled the washer with hot water, squirted in some of the cheap
shampoo I love to scour FOs with, and hit the "go" button on the
washer.

5 minutes pass with no appreciable change in the character of the
fabric. 8 minutes and I can see a bit of happy-making fullness coming
into the stockinette on the sleeves. 10 minutes and *POOF* the cables
down the front were standing at attention.

I spun that puppy out and now have it on a rinse soak. It doesn't
look any smaller, but it does look as if it'll hang together better.
Next time I wash it I will probably give it just a little more
agitation.

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).