Old August 5th 03, 03:41 AM
frood

I am hoping to teach classes at my LQS - which is why I'm doing the QU
course. I think there is a difference between sharing knowledge and support
in an informal group, and in teaching a class. One of my neighbors is an
exercise instructor. I took her class for years, and only dropped out when
the program changed (she teaches a franchised program) and I couldn't stand
it anymore. I hated dropping out because I love her as a teacher. However, I
would never dream of asking her to show me some exercises for free, and I
don't think any of my other neighbors would, either.

Now, I may be in for a rude surprise, but I think these particular women
will understand that a quilting group is a group effort, not a single person
teaching. And that's what I'm hoping for - a mutually beneficial group with
a common interest. If it turns out that others in the neighborhood are
hoping for a class in quilting, well, then I'll just have to decide if I
want to teach a class, and what I would charge and make a lesson plan, and
see if it flies!

If I teach a class at the LQS, it wouldn't be beginning quilting for adults,
although I may consider beginning quilting for children, as I have some
experience teaching that (2 kids so far, 3 State Fair ribbons for them), so
there wouldn't be a conflict for me. I don't even think my LQS offers a
beginning quilting class, but I could be wrong.

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply
"Elena" wrote in message
I suspect that your QU class is very aware of the tenuous line between

being
a professional teacher and someone who helps friends out. Coming from an
interior design background, I'm aware of the "fighting" that goes on for
professional recognition. Sometimes it leads to a rather deep line being
drawn between what constitutes a professional interior design individual
from the local mom doing interior decorating selling out of her home.
Please understand I am in no way implying that the local mom is in any way
inferior in my comparison.

Quilting is another area in which it is very hard for someone even with
experience and takes the responsibility to treat their teaching seriously

be treated with that same professional regard. Isn't the whole idea of

the
QU class to share ways to become more professional? To offer better

classes,
and to avoid the hassles that come when misunderstandings occur precisely
because there's no formal contract, or terms are vague and not in writing?

As far as your group goes, I'd say go for it! If you feel a need to keep
things "even" then offer them ways to help you help them. If they start
asking you to teach things that they saw in a class schedule at the LQS

and
are trying to get something for nothing, then you might change your mind.
But first, they'd have to have the 'fever', right? I don't see anything
wrong with helping beginners catch the bug we quilters have. muwahahaha.

If things go right, you could end up with the best relationship possible
with the LQS. That of bringing new buyers and students to their shops,

and
giving them a better knowledge of what their customers want.

If the forum seems irritated at this, then they are missing the good side.
That without friendly encouragement and group support, no one knows to

take
the classes they are clearly interested in teaching at the quality level
(with the desired income) they strive for. All you would be doing is
showing your friends just what a marvelous world it is out there!

Sounds yummy and I am frankly envious that you have such a good local

group!

Elena in Tx