Old June 12th 04, 04:37 PM
sewingsusan

Have you tried Kanagawa silk? I believe this might be the "rope" silk
you are referring to. Lacis has it. I've used it. It looks like a
rope, is filament (shiny) and is extraordinarily beautiful when
stitched. Pearl threads are modestly twisted. Isn't Sirica a pearl?
My head is swimming with other stuff today, and I simply can't remember.

Funny you should mention it - I think I will be getting some Kanagawa
silk to play with in a week or two. I have been emailing a woman who
primarily does needlepoint and no longer can see well enough to do
petit point. She sold me some appleton crewel threads, and when I
asked her about silk threads which she may have for sale she told me
she had some Kanagawa. I am waiting her reply regarding colors,
quantity and pricing. She also has some Au Voir (the stuff you sell,
Dianne) but I don't think that's what I am looking for so I passed on
it.

This woman designs her own needlepoint and sent me some photos of her
work - beautiful!!! I had considered needlepoint to be uncreative
(sorry, surface embroideress snobishness rearing it's ugly head) - but
not if you are working your own designs as this woman does. This
woman also told me that she took classes from Elsa Williams years ago
(Elsa is now deceased.)

I have not run across "Sirica" - or is that from Krenik?? Krenik has
one line of twisted silk "Sori Perlee", I think (??) which is being
discontinued. It'a available on the "yard sale" portion of their site,
for cheap.

I have discovered that there are only a few manufacturers of silk -
most dyers have the same "base thread" and the difference is only in
the dying skill and color selection. Pricing is largely dependant on
the company's marketing strategy. Vikki Clayton's product is very
affordable because her only outlet is her online retail store - no
middleman. But her product is virtually the same as other
manufacturers who distribute to your LNS. The only difference being
the color selection, not at all the quality of the silk thread - in
most cases.

At least, this is what my research is telling me - I got that tidbit
from the Caron Collection site.

I will have to see if Kanagawa has a different "twist" than
perle-style silk threads. I am itching to get samples in my hands
(and needle!)

Admittedly, I am ordering Ann Chave's kit with silk threads to see
what she is using for silk threads. She said she did a lot of
searching to find the correct silk threads. I could, I suppose,
simply ask her what brand of silk she is using, she MIGHT tell me.
But i thought it would be kind (and fun) to support her research by
purchasing a kit from her. But it is pricey when converted to silks! I
had to put off purchasing it until next month, but I am getting an
extra (big) check next month - so that works out well. Although I need
to do more than simply have with this check (love using that
acrynom! It is filtered out of my computer if I type the letters
together, my computer is my daughter's loaner computer from her online
charter school and they have hidden software on it which is does an
incredible job filtering. Good for parental peace of mind, but I
can't even reach some of the discussions on this list!)

BTW, Pearsells in England has a ton of surface embroidery kits. A lot
of birds and such, but as you page through them you will find some
non-traditional designs. Their silk is the stranded variety, which I
am not interested in for my reproduction plans, but I thought I should
mention their kits. I was at their site several weeks ago and it
seems to me that they didn't have as much available then as they did a
couple of days ago when I visited the site again. But maybe it's like
when you are driving a new car - after our discussions here these past
few weeks! Regardless, I don't think anyone has mentioned their kits
here. Do a search for silk and Pearsell's and you should find it no
problem.

Blessings,
Susan