Old July 3rd 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Default Moth help!

Mary Fisher wrote:
Today I took out a shawl which a daughter knitted for me some years ago from
her own spun Hebridean black wool from the two Heb ewe lambs I gave her.
She'd chosen the stitch 'candlelight' because I made beeswax candles.

It had huge holes in it and it's unsalvageable.

Does anyone know of any home moth-proofing system?

Obviously it will be for future items but we'd hate it to happen again.
We're both very unhappy (Spouse and I - I haven't told daughter yet).

Mary

IMO the best way is to keep things out and aired. For instance, with a
beautiful shawl I would tend to drape it over a piece of furniture or the
like, or at least wear it regularly so that the moths do not have the
chance
to burrow in there.

I have one beautiful shawl (among several others) which I inherited from
dh's aunt, and I make sure I wear it at least once every couple of months.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.