Old December 7th 07, 05:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

Default Talc!

"charlie" ) writes:
"DKat" wrote in message - snips -
Apparently Ceramic Supplies (NJ) gets its talc from a mine in Connecticut
where the talc has been contaminated with asbestos. The University
Environmental 'police' confiscated our talc and were going to take our
glazes made with talc. They were talked out taking the glazes. I learned
this morning that we are going to try to get a replacement talc from
Texas...

Donnna

try baby powder on sale at walmart. read the label, as some baby powder is
really corn starch.

Talc occurs in association with asbestos. This is why most, if not
all, baby powders are corn starch. Adult powders might be more likely
to have talc. I'd imagine that any talc source could end up containing
asbestos as they went from one end of the mine to the other. And like
any sort of contamination, the government can change the allowable parts
per million or whatever.

The Canadian government is still trying to mine and sell asbestos
as an insulation. It's doing this because there are great quantities
of it in Quebec. But it generally* can't be sold in Canada and there are
fewer and fewer takers because the stuff is so bad for the lungs.

Elaine

* my source says some precast concrete can have asbestos.