Old October 20th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

Default OT word of the day

Since it's election season, how about canvass? As in "to canvass the
vote."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/canvass

The sources all say it comes from "to toss in a canvas sheet," but
that is not helpful.
Toss the ballots? Toss the voters? Just two voters, mixed gender,
tossing (hmmm)? (Or, these days, same gender?) Does the length of the
tossing-time affect the outcome of the vote? How big was the sheet
used for tossing -- sail-sized? bed-sized? apron-sized? handkerchief-
sized?

Nann

On Oct 14, 6:36*pm, (NightMist) wrote:
Dunno how long I'll keep it up, or if I will last even a week, but I
thought it might be fun to toss out a word a day and try to keep it to
textile terms.
They may not be new words for everybody, but hey it doesn't cost
anything. (G)

Today because I used the term once and puzzled people here, and
because it was near the front of the dictionary:

CALENDER. To smooth woollen cloths, and give them a gloss.

NightMist
--

Nothing has been the same since that house fell on my sister.