Old May 25th 04, 10:27 PM
Jenn Ridley

"Dr. Brat" wrote:

FKBABB wrote:
I have the Vogue patterns for Mission-style pillows, and they
recommend regular DMC floss, but this doesn't feel "authentic" to me.

Actually, DMC cotton floss is completely authentic. The company has been in
business since the mid-19th century and hasn't even changed its color numbers.

I thought that certain colors had been changed. That if you had older
versions of the same number, they wouldn't match the newer versions.

Yes, that's (sort of) true. But it wasn't by choice.

The new colors are as close to the old colors as they could get with
the new dyes. And actually, if you go back far enough, the 'new'
(1990s) versions are pretty close to older (1940s) versions, or at
least to the 1940s skeins that belonged to my gramma. (gramma and mom
stored the floss in a paper lined wooden box in a drawer, so there was
no fading of the older colors...shifting due to age, probably.)

I think that there had been a gradual shift in those colors over the
years, and an effort was made when DMC had to change dyes to make the
'new' version more like the 'old' version.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

WIP: Art Stitch Rose Trio, Emperor's Coat, FrankenFlora, Halloween Circle
Most recently Finished: Romance, Santa Christmas Stocking, Will Work for Freezer Space