Old May 25th 04, 10:33 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Yes, but this doesn't detract from the authenticity (the act of using
DMC floss). One need only read Dillmont's encyclopedia to see just how
authentic it is for the period in question. :-)

However (always the big however), broder threads were often used, rather
than floss. This is tightly twisted thread with a beautiful sheen. Sue
might want to look at floche (Herschnerr's carries it). This isn't as
nice as broder (cheaper stuff - never mind what they charge for it), but
it's worth a look. Smockers love it - and it is highly twisted in lots
of colors.

Personally, I hate cotton pearls, though I use them. They simply don't
hold up when used in surface work because they shred up with the
constant twisting and abrasion from in/out of the material. Satin
stitching is different. I'm talking all those tiny chains or stem stitches.

Dianne

Dr. Brat wrote:

FKBABB wrote:

I have the Vogue patterns for Mission-style pillows, and they
recommend regular DMC floss, but this doesn't feel "authentic" to me.
Actually, DMC cotton floss is completely authentic. The company has
been in
business since the mid-19th century and hasn't even changed its color
numbers.

I thought that certain colors had been changed. That if you had older
versions of the same number, they wouldn't match the newer versions.
Certainly numbers have been added...

Elizabeth