Old May 25th 04, 06:01 AM
sewingsusan

Default To Sue Dawson/ Arts & Crafts Era Threads

Hello:

If Sue Dawson is still on this list, I would love for her to post an
answer to a question I have about the types of threads used in linens
during the "arts & Crafts Era" (early 1900s). I did a search of the
archives and found posts from several years ago in which she said that
she was personally interested in this topic and had a collection of
antique threads and books from this Era.

Sue, I would like to recreate some arts & crafts era linens with as
close to the authentic threads as possible, but in silks and not the
"art silks" (rayons) which were also used at that time. I have read
mention that they had a number of threads which are not available to
use today.

It seems, from my minor-league research, that they used silk threads
which were similiar to DMC's cotton perle threads, but I am not sure
which weight of the perle threads would be similiar. I have found a
couple of online sources for silk threads which are available in a
variety of colors in the same weights as DMC cotton perles 3, 5, 8 &
12. Am I on the right track?? Which weight should I order to
experiement with??

I have the Vogue patterns for Mission-style pillows, and they
recommend regular DMC floss, but this doesn't feel "authentic" to me.
I would like to make embroider these designs in silks. Any help or
direction would be appreciated.

Blessings,
Susan