Old May 3rd 05, 04:23 AM
William Black

"mbstevens" wrote in message
news

And you think restricting basic rights to free speech
is a lesser wrong? *TEN YEARS* in the pokey for saying
your artwork has precious metal in it when it DOES in fact
have it?

So don't say it.

Say 'I'm an artist, the medium may or may not be precious in its own right,
but I'm above hallmarks.

See what happens...

See how much you sell as well...

A little ugly stamp is going to stop fraud?
Doubtful. It more likely just reinforces the powers of
Guild members.

What guild, anyone can buy a hallmark.

Other countries seem to get along fine without it.

Nope, not these days, I think the USA is just about the only major country
without a marking system. Of course some countries (Italy springs to mind)
have problems, but they all mark...

cheats abuse the
freedom they enjoy by not accepting the responsibility
that goes with the freedom.. Ted Frater.

So, punish for fraud. Do not force jewelers to put
those *butt-ugly* little stamps on articles that are
intended to be *beautiful.*

Jewellers don't.

You send it away to be stamped.

These kinds of laws are on the books not really to protect
individuals but to protect organizations. It happens
everywhere. The cattle barons here in Texas have pushed
through a law protecting locally grown *beef* from
slander. It's all just to be ridiculed.

Ah...

You're from Texas...

Sorry...

--
William Black

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
Barbeques on fire by chalets past the headland
I've watched the gift shops glitter in the darkness off Newborough
All this will pass like ice-cream on the beach
Time for tea