Old November 4th 11, 11:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Default OT - aubergine/ eggplant recipes please

Absolutely agree about ratatouille. Best with a fried egg on top!

--
Cheers for now
Tutu
"Roberta" Roberta@Home wrote in message
I have 2:

Use it in ratatouille. This recipe is entirely flexible, it's really
just stewed veggies. Mine always includes aubergines, zucchini, onions
garlic and tomatoes. If you need to use them up, or just to make
something a little different, you can toss in leeks, pumpkin chunks,
celery, fennel, kohlrabi..... Stew slowly using as little water as
possible, because the veggies will begin to release their own liquid.
Season as desired (go easy on the salt if you use canned tomatoes).
Basil always works well with tomato dishes.
This freezes easily in family portion-size ziplock bags. Goes well
with chops or roasts or grilled fish. Or omelets. Or if it's really
cooked down, use as a pasta sauce.

Use in lasagne. For a vegetarian lasagne, slice aubergines and
zucchini about 1cm thick, brush with olive oil on both sides, and
grill until they take on a bit of golden color.
Layer lasagne pasta using the grilled veggies, a good ricotta cheese,
fresh grated parmesan, and a good tomato sauce. (Start with tomato
sauce in the bottom of the dish, thinned slightly with a little water.
End with a layer of sauce, grated emmenthaler or mozzarella if you
want, and a drizzle of olive oil.)
Let this sit in the fridge for several hours or overnight so the pasta
absorbs some liquid. Then bake about 45 minutes. If you have enough
casserole dishes, you can make an extra one for the freezer.

If there's *really* a lot of aubergine, you can slice and grill it,
freeze in a single layer, then pack into freezer bags for lasagne
later. DH will eat just about any amount of this lasagne. Or warm up
the grilled frozen slices just a bit and serve with other antipasti
(parma ham, pecorino, olives, stuffed peppers...) for an easy light
lunch.
Roberta in D

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 08:15:37 +0000, Jo Gibson
wrote:

Hello friend,

Due to some clever substitution with my online grocery order, I now have
twice as many aubergines/eggplants as I was expecting. What is your
favourite recipe please?

Cheers, Jo in Scotland