Old July 18th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Joe

Default Glass to metal seal

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 02:11:27 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I hope my question is within the topic of this group.

Could anyone tell me if glass tubing can be fused to stainless steel
tubing with a hermetic seal?

If so, are there special techniques/methods that need to be followed?

Would a scientific glass blower be able to do this.

Any advise appreciated.

Steven

Generally, the different expansion ratios between glass & metal make
this impossible. However, there are glasses that have close COEs to
metals. These are used to make what are referred to as "graded seals".
They are available from scientific glass suppliers in most common
tubing sizes, but not necessarily in a configuration that might suit
you. Your best bet in that case would be to use an epoxy seal. There
are special epoxies for this purpose.

HTH,
Joe