Old February 28th 17, 05:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Al Navas

Default Mega quilter problems

On Wednesday, November 20, 2013 at 7:55:38 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I recently purchased a used, but almost new, Viking mega quilter. It is skipping stitches and the thread keeps breaking. I have adjusted both tensions, and re-threaded, adjust the frame,it sews good for a minute, then the thread breaks or skips stitches. It is driving me crazy...I am new to quilting, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Dora

Dora,

In my case, the "skipped stitches" problem turned out to be a bad X-axis encoder. I spent several weeks troubleshooting ours, and it now works perfectly!

The problem was that the encoder would stop turning for a fraction of a second. The fix included:

1. Replace the X-axis encoder with a new one, and
2. Add spring-loaded assist to each encoder.

NO problems since!

I blogged about this issue in several articles on my Learning to Quilt blog:

http://www.startingtoquilt.com/search?q=mega+encoder

Al