Old May 26th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Default Silver supplier question

"Peter W.. Rowe," wrote in message
On Sun, 25 May 2008 20:28:15 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Abrasha
wrote:

Specific gravity of fine gold is 19.32 and that of 18K gold is around
15.6. So, assuming the specific gravity for 22K gold is 19 (it is most
likely not) the weight of a piece of rod as you describe would be 7.472
kg, which is 16.473 lb avoirdupois or 20.019 lb troy.

... which is roughly 220 troy ounces of fine gold, which at the current
gold
market price of about $925 an ounce, is about what you could pay for a
fairly
modest home in the midwest, or a really nice place in New Orleans (I'm
guessing
with that one...) or perhaps one really fantastic automobile....

All in all, the gold is easier to carry.

I'm still trying to work out what he was making.

Obviously some sort of trophy, it was way too heavy for jewellery, unless
it was going to be turned down into some sort of very heavy bangles...

But you wouldn't do it like that...

--
William Black

Time for tea.