Old January 9th 04, 11:02 PM
Els van Dam

In article 0msLb.32616$X%5.9127@pd7tw2no, "Shirley Luton"
wrote:

Hi Els,

I'm intrigued by the idea of making "little balls on double pointed knitting
needles" - were you joking, or is this doable (and likely one of those
things that "real" knitters seem to take for granted, while I continue to be
amazed grin)

Yes it is do-able.....It is discribed in the little book called Domino
Knitting by Vivian Høxbro. She call them knitted pompoms. She just knits
a little rectangle leaving a long tail at the cast on side. When you
have your rectangle the size you want do not cut off your thread. Put
stitches on a holding needle. With your long top tail pick up the cast on
stitches and pull your thread through closing the top. Sew your sides
close with invisible sitches. pick up your stitches from your needle
holder and do not pull close yet. Now wind off enough yarn to stuff your
ball or pompom cut of your yarn pull your bottompart close and finish off
your last end....voila a pompom, I would think that you can also do that
by knitting X number of stitches on a double pointed knitting needle and
slide your knitting back to the right side of your needle when your are
finished, do not turn your knitting and bring your thread back to the
right side along the front, pulling it tight. Knit as many rows as you
need this way for your pompom. Now you only have to finish top and bottom
after stuffing it with the same yarn as you used for the knitting.

so be amazed by your own handyness.....LOL

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....