Old September 2nd 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
ME-Judy[_2_]

Default OT no brakes on Hurricanes

Actually, BTDT! Okinawa - we filled the bathtub itself with water for
flushing, and left a small bucket near it to move the water!! -- We
also had water running into the house through the power outlets! Of
course, all the outer windows there had typhoon-shutters built in so
none got shattered! Had three days of "roast beef sandwiches by
candlelight" before we got power back. Since the water to Navy
housing was also derived (via a "cleaning plant") from a part of the
local sewer system, the leaching from ground water made the water
undrinkable for more than a week until repairs were made - so a huge
water truck made the rounds of the base, and we all took our 5 gal.
jugs out to be refilled. We were one of the few that had an outside
BBQ (brought inside during the storm) -- so we could boil water and
make coffee for us (and the neighbors!). No storm should EVER be
taken lightly!
ME-Judy

On Sep 1, 10:51*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
Hurricane weather folks are saying that too many are taking a cavalier
attitude about Earl. . . and mentioned that some areas of the east coast
haven't had a ferocious hurricane since 1991. *Judy, I'm so glad that you
know the drill. *Don't forget to put your kitchen trash can into the bathtub
and fill it with water. *That will let you flush if you loose power/water.
Safe, warm and fed - those are good. *So is flushing. *Polly