Old April 12th 04, 11:26 PM
RLK

"MAK" wrote in message

2. Does the slat width (wood blinds) or # folds (roman shades) have
a bearing on the Arts & Crafts or Mission style?

3. What about inside the frame vs. outside mounting of either?
Which would be more in keeping with the style? Which would eliminate
the most light? We have cranks on the windows - does that make a
difference? What affect would outside mounting have on how far out
curtains would go (I'd like to make some tab curtains). There's a
narrow aisle in front of one of the windows.

4. If we go with the wood blinds, would you recommend wide or narrow
slats? Light is the biggest consideration here, but also aesthetics.

We live in a Victorian hybrid (has some colonial elements) built in 1907 -
the previous owner left behind wood blinds and wooden half-shutters. She was
very keen on keeping the period aspects of the house including historical
colors so I have to believe it is in keeping. The wooden blinds and shutters
are both inside mount, with 1" slats.

I can see tab-top curtains, especially if you chose beige or ivory linen
with a natural slub so it complements the simplicity of the Mission elements
in the room.

I guess it is quite a matter of personal preference.... all the original
hardware -- the hardware for flat roller blinds mount outside and beyond
that hardware for double rods. I'm limited slightly by what I can do for the
windows as each window is topped by a cornice. They look lovely but too much
dark wood, it is hard to decide whether to hang window treatments with the
cornice above or behind them.

For curtains, I tend to favor heavier drapery to keep out drafts in an older
house (I'm still working on this). Our bedroom has drapes with attached
valances done in florals. Ideally, I would chose a vintage floral print on a
tan or beige background heavy enough to need tiebacks. Waverly fabrics has
an excellent assortment in their Vintage Collection. All the fabrics in this
line have a faded vintage look and one fern pattern I know of is slightly
reminiscent of Wm Morris. Bullion fringe would add a bit of Victorian
splendour if that look is preferred. Right now I have large key tassels
suspended from behind the valances. Our bedroom faces east as well, and in
the summer the room is sweltering from the sun! I'm hoping to line the
curtains for this or next summer to keep the room cooler.