Old August 28th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
JustJoanQuilts

Default OT proposed discussion: How did you learn to be a "woman" rather than a "girl"?

I know where you are coming from. I can't count how many times I have
been asked, 'why don't you wear make-up, have you ever . . ., etc.,
etc.' On my wedding day at the reception, my aunt pinned me to the
wall to put a little color on my face. I have always said I don't like
wearing it but in reality, I was just never any good at it so gave up
on it. My mom didn't wear any and told me the same thing about how I
was perfect the way God made me! My dad wouldn't let me get my ears
pierced because God gave me all the holes I needed. So I did it myself
and he never said a word about it. My parents were good parents but
not very good with what I was going through as a teen. Just a phase
and all that. I just want to say that I feel that same disconnect
between being a girl and an adult but it's not just about the make-up,
that's just on the surface. These feelings for me are much deeper and
at the age of 48, I wonder if I will ever feel like or be treated like
a grown up since I don't much look like one and don't really behave
like most adults I know. Life is too short to be so serious and I
refuse to conform. Maybe that is the artist within, whatever it is, I
don't know. But I have to agree with the whole hiring aspect, I don't
look like people think I should and that can be a deterrent in many
aspects of getting the better job!! I could write more but I have to
go to my little peon job so TTFN....

Joan from GA for the moment

Tricia wrote:

Hence, realizing I have virtually no knowledge in an area many women
seem to have plenty, I thought I'd ask where that knowledge came
from...where did you learn it?

Pondering,
Tricia