Old August 16th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Lauri Levanto

Default Glass grinders.

Bill Browne wrote:
I work in etched glass, not stained. But I like to work with odd shapes, so
I've considered a glass grinder, and I have a few questions.

I'm curious as to how badly the edge is chipped after its been ground. I
know the stained glass crowd puts came or foil around the edge, so it isn't
an issue. But for me, it might be. Can someone send me a close-up pic of
the edge of a piece of glass after it's been ground so I can see the finish?
Also, it looks to me that most grinding heads are 3/4 to an inch tall.
Would they'd work on 3/8" or 1/2" glass? Seems like it'd be OK, but wonder
if anyone out there has had experience with this?

Thanks.

Bill

I work with fused glass, so I have the same grinding question.
The normal coarse head leaves a very dull scraped durfsce. You can buy a
fine head to smooth after that.
Diamond hand pads are good for finish. You need a series, like
220, 400 and 600 grits. After that you have a surfade like sandblasted.
further finsih requires polishing.
HAve you consider fire polishing?

-lauri