Old June 26th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.carving
thomas

Default Cedar Elm

On Jun 26, 12:04 pm, Richard wrote:
thomas wrote:
I've got some geen cedar elm sticks. Is this stuff any good for
carving? I'm thinking about making a knife handle. Is it hard enough
to make a plane with? I know nada about this tree.

Here is a desc. of elmhttp://cgi.photobooks.com/scripts/troll.cgi?dbase=hardwood&page=2&pic...

Your cedar elm is listed as the same. Might be a little tough for
carving, unless you use mallet tools. should make good knife handles
mill it up and see. Knife makers will use most anything.

Thank you. I picked some green Bradford pear sticks off the same pile.
Those will probably be better for making planes, I suppose.