Old July 3rd 07, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Not Likely

Default To all Brits ,,,, ARE YOU SAFE ???

"Shillelagh" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Not Likely" notinthislifetime@yougottabejoking wrote in message
I really am going to have to at least start checking out our local news
more often to keep up on what's going on. But then... ignorance is
bliss,
so they say! ;o)

Yes - you're not going to be able to stop it just because you know about
it :-)

Mary

No, you can't stop it, but you can help yourself be safer!

Shelagh

Thankfully our town has always been by-passed by tornadoes. Yes, we do get
the extremely heavy winds that have uprooted trees or snapped them in
half... but any tornadoes that pass by here have a trail from the
south-west, across the highway a few miles south of our town and on to the
east of us before dying out. When I was very little there had been one that
tore a house away about 5 miles to the east of us, leaving only the bathtub
(are you ready?) with a lady in it taking a bath. When Matthew was very
little there was one that did some major devastation to a tiny community
about 12 miles to the south-west of us.

Other than that we have had trees uprooted in the cemetery at the north east
edge of town (although the *experts* sau ot wasn't, I'm almost positive that
a tornado had to have touched down there), trees snapped in half on some
streets around town and hydro/telephone poles snapped in half on occasion
too; all to go along with some pretty wild storms consisting of thunder,
lightning, torrential downpours that flood down the streets in waves like on
a river, and very VERY strong winds. Most times I like to sit on the sofa
(used to like to sit in the foyer before it started leaking like a basket)
with the curtains open and watch the show the storm puts on. Mind you,
while watching, I keep a close eye on the sky and clouds... especially any
that come in from the south-west. If need be, we can head to the rec-room
and huddle in the south-east corner like I have always heard is the safest
area to be if a tornado hits. Of course, having never been through one, I
have no idea if that is true or not... but it sounds logical to me... if
that's the direction it is coming from, then it *should* blow things away
from you.

Stay safe everyone!

*hugs*
Gemini