Old November 2nd 11, 02:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Default Quilt Bible Cover

Here's a simple cover that only requires 2 seams:

Cut a fabric rectangle large enough for the outside of the book, front
and back cover (don't forget the width of the spine), plus 2 X inside
flaps, plus seam allowances. Note: depending on how thick your fabric
is, decide how you want to finish the edges of the flaps. bias
binding? simple turned hem? You could also cut the piece long enough
to fold the flap ends double. If this is your choice, *press this
fold* at both ends (wrong sides together) and make sure it's a really
sharp crease. You might want to top stitch along the crease. So now
you have a rectangle, both ends finished.

Cut a rectangle for the lining, same width as the other piece (= the
height of the book) and about a half-inch shorter than the outside
book measurement.

If you want a bookmark, you can use a piece of grosgrain ribbon.

Now layer your pieces:
Place the outside rectangle *right side up*. Fold the 2 flaps over
right sides together (it should now match the lengthwise outside book
measurement).
Center the bookmark and pin in place at one edge.
Place the lining*right side down*, long edges matching, and center it.
Pin as desired.

Finally, sew the 2 long edges, making sure you don't catch the
bookmark on the bottom edge. Don't sew the ends! Turn right side out,
turn the flaps into position and press. Make sure it fits the book. If
not, consider this your practice piece and whip out another.

Another note: the short ends of the lining piece are hidden but not
finished. If your lining is very ravelly, you might want to secure the
edges with Fraycheck or pinking shears.

Ideas for a Bible cover: Suede (or alcantara) for the outside, line
with silk. Embroider the owner's name on one of the inside flaps
before assembly. You wouldn't have to hem the flaps, maybe just a line
of stay stitching.
Roberta in D

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 18:26:18 +0000, Carlee Clove
wrote:

My nephew is getting baptized one month from today and I really want to
successfully create a home sewn bible cover for him. This probably isn't
too difficult but I still feel like such a beginner at sewing. So, I'm
here for some help. I'm trying not to put too much stress on myself
because if it ends up not working out then I will just have to buy one.
I saw some 'bible covers' (http://www.dicksonsgiftshop.com/bible-covers)
at this site when I was running out of options for my niece but we will
see what happens. I would like to try to make one also. Thanks for the
advice!