Old November 13th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Elaine Stutt

Default Attention Steve Mills (and other singel fire players) Single Fire Cone 6 Oxidation

"DKat" ) writes:
So heres the deal - most of the glazes I tested worked just fine except for
the lips where at least half of them simply flaked off. I hate to put these
pots through any more stress so I'm going to try painting on the lips a very
thin coat. Do I do this by thinning down the glaze or what? Do I add corn
syrup to the glaze and if so in what ratio? Thanks, Donna

I've done some raw glazing and I took some notes on it from a book.
Naturally, the notes aren't here. I think I remember that for flaking
on the lip, you may need to reformulate the glaze. It may be a
simple change i.e. instead of kaolin use ball clay as it's more elastic.
If the recipe doesn't have kaolin...I'll try and pick up my notes.

The only time I tried syrup it was icky. But it was for a re-glazing
and I may have used too much.

Elaine