Old March 25th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

Default Gold Plating

Thanks for the info Peter.

Before reading this, I took one of the forks out and heated it in a
torch expecting the change of color series seen in steel.

I have no idea how hot it got because I quit when nothing happened and
before it started to get red.

I said "nothing" happened but actually, the tarnish vanished very
quickly when the heat was applied soI have at least removed the
symptoms of the disease so I thought I would quit while ahead.

I will check out Rio on the plating but I thought there were just two
possibilities available and I tried one and don't like it so I assumed
it was cyanide or nothing.

I would appreciate your source for sending out but I really am a do it
yourselfer and would prefer to learn how to do it right.

As a point of interest, do stones have to be removed from the settings
when plated commercially?

js