Old August 31st 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

Default Antique Jewelry

On Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:30:08 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry Ganesh
wrote:

This one's very easy to make
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:We...uvre_AC924.jpg

with modern tools and methods, yes. Doing it with starting raw materials and
tools available to the 7th century byzantine goldsmith might be a bit more
daunting. A ring like that, for example, likely was not cast, so one would need
to have some skill with chisels or engraving tools to do the carving, and the
steel back then wasn't as good, not to mention the fact that the goldsmith would
have had to make his own tools beforehand. Remember, files for shaping metal
were not yet available either. Most forming would be with hammers... And
you couldn't just go to your metals dealer and buy ready to use sheet or wire...

Also, the niello (black) inlay isn't quite as simple to do as might seem,
especially with ancient technologies. Doable? certainly. But I think I'd take
the word "very" out from your sentance...

Peter