Old September 19th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Bruce Fletcher (remove dentures to reply)

Default how to alter flare/bootcut jeans to skinny legs?

BEI Design wrote:
Gerald & Donna McIntosh wrote:

My 12-yr DD loves skinny-leg jeans..she has 3 pairs of
flair/bootcut jeans that we want to change to skinny
leg...does boths seams need to be taken out or just
one..

Yes, and equal amount should be removed from both the inside
and outside seam. Otherwise the pantslegs will twist when
worn.

and how far up the leg....

Determine how much you want to remove and divide by 2.
Start at the hem (which you have unpicked), and draw a
chalkline, using a yardstick, up to about the knee, or
wherever the line naturally intersects the original
stitching. You will need to clean finish (serge or zig-zag)
the raw edges of the new seam. Be sure you don't taper so
much that she cannot get her foot through the new hem.
Re-stitch the hem when you are happy with the alteration.

HTH,

Beverly

This brings to mind the craze in the early 1960s for very narrow (14
inch) bottom trousers. At that time I was in the RAF, in my late teens,
6 ft 4 ins tall and weighed less than 160 pounds. Narrow bottomed
trousers were that last thing that I really needed but they were
"fashionable"...
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney UK