Old February 22nd 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Juno B

Default Hello, again

On 2/22/2010 10:13 AM, Steve B wrote:
"Kate wrote in message
BEI Design wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Been away a while. Have been trying to get my Singer
111W155 working. The thread gobs up on the underside of
the fabric.

I have no knowledge of your particular machine, but as a general rule,
thread nests on the bottom of the fabric is an indication that the *top*
thread is not being tensioned. Or that the tension disks are full of
gunk. Or that the needle needs to be replaced with a new one. If I had
this problem, I would:

1. replace the needle with a BRAND NEW, one sized for your fabric.
2. unthread the needle path, clean the entire path very carefully
including flossing between the tension disks.
3. rethread the top and bobbin thread, referring to the manual as I did
so.
4. make absolutely certain the needle thread is not catching anywhere on
the spool.
5. test.
6. if the problem still remains, do a top-to-bottom inside-and-out
cleaning and lubrication of the machine hitting every spot recommended in
the user's manual and using a brush and vacuum to clean all nooks and
crannies.
7. test again...

Having done all that, if the problem remains, I'd head for the service
center. Or contact Ron Anderson:

ron [at] sewingmachine [dot] com

Ron Anderson A1 Sewing Machine
18 Dingman Rd Sand Lake, NY 12153
http://www.a1sewingmachine.com

Ron's phone number is on his web site.

NAYY,

I'd be doing the same.

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Thank you both, and I shall be contacting Ron. I have done what was
suggested, spending hours looking at my machine. It is relatively clean,
and I have spent quite a bit of time looking at the manual and learning how
it works. I still have a ways to go.

On the thread tensioning, when I thread it through the top, I cannot seem to
get the top thread tension right, although all the disks have been removed
and are pristine clean. At times, it works, at other times, the thread is
hard to pull through.

I suspect the problem is in the bobbin area, and will have to work with it
and adjust the bobbin tension screw and thread hook and needle hook timing
repeatedly until I get it right.

I am recovering right now, so have two weeks to do such sit around things.
But I would sure like to get my boat top finished, and quit wasting thread.

Thank you for your help.

Steve

Just a thought. You say the thread is hard to pull at times. Are you
referring to the bobbin thread or the top thread. Are you threading with
the foot in the up position and inserting the needle into the fabric
with the up and holding your bobbin and top thread behind the foot until
you get started sewing. If you've done these thing and still have
ptoblems, Ron is there for you.
Juno