Old November 28th 05, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery

Default Want to Learn Pottery

http://www.powells.com/
http://www.powells.com/biblio/61-0823005917-0

Is a great place to buy used books. I would recommend that you start with
handbuilding especially if you do not have an instructor. Of course I think
that is how everyone should start. You can get immediate (or almost
immediate) gratification and you find out if you really do like playing in
the mud.

Donna

"tjnamtiw" wrote in message
.. .
Also, you can do what my wife and I did. Go to the library and get an
armful of books. Read about the basics of preparation and glazes, hand
building and then wheel turning. If you find any books you like, look for
them used on amazon.com. We've bought 4 books that way that we refer to
often. We also found videos at the library that were very useful. The
rest is just practice. Clay is so cheap that your risk factor is very
low.

Tom

"Bubba" wrote in message
Hello to all,

In the city where I live, I have been trying to find someone to teach
pottery. However, I have been unsuccessful. The local university
teaches pottery, but requires all sorts of prerequisites to take the
course. And, I don't want to work towards an art degree just to take a
pottery class.

Given the local situation, can anyone recommend a good book that may
provide the basics of pottery and where a good source maybe to find some
used equipment to just get started?

Thanks!!

John