Old November 22nd 08, 10:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default Gimp

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:27:29 -0800, in rec.crafts.jewelry "Rich"
wrote:

I've got a container filled with "heavy silvered gimp".

What is gimp? What is it used for? TIA.

Last I heard (like maybe 40 years ago) Gimp was a sort of fake leather lacing or
cord, somewhat flat or oval in cross section. Not sure just what plastic it's
made of. But available in about all the same colors and finishes as any other
form of vinyl, including metalized. Often found in kids crafts projects. Can
be braided into lanyards, keychain fobs that would be useless from a store but
become priceless when crafted by one's kid, or used to lace bits of fake leather
(or cheap real leather) into not so great coin purses and wallets at summer day
camp. No doubt there are other more serious uses for the stuff, but that
crafty stuff to keep kids busy is what I recall. That assumes my memory of
"gimp" is the same material you've got. There may be other meanings of the term
for all I know.

Peter