Old February 17th 10, 06:13 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jack Schmidling

Default Silver Blueing

First of all, some comments on the group.

Glad to see a few names here that I recognize from the past. I tend
to hop around from hobby to hobby like a jack in the box and have been
obsessed with amateur radio for the past several years. I have been a
ham since 1955 but out more than in.

I was saddened when I lost usenet access but got to liking Yahoo
Groups a lot. It appears now that Google has enabled an email option
for usenet access but I have not quite figured it out as there is so
little traffic on this list.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughts on my blueing but I do not think it is
a simple matter of tarnish for the simple reason that it only appears
on the tines. My instinct says that tarnish is a surface phenomenon
and should appear all over the piece.

As the tines are the thinnest part of the piece, I suspect it is a
heat related issue. When tempering during forging, the tines always
got hotter, faster than the rest of the piece and may have left a
latent image of the blue stage on the tines. Why it has just begun to
show up is the real mystery.

I am thinking that somehow annealing it again may be the cure but need
some moral support before venturing back into this.

Jack