Old March 25th 14, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default DMC floss changes

On 3/24/2014 8:58 PM, Gillian Murray wrote:
On 3/22/2014 9:16 AM, KT in Mich wrote:
Just saw on Scarlet Quince site that changes are coming to DMC floss in
the US. These are the changes: discontinued first, substitute second.

Thanks, I will copy this out. I remember the awful color changes in the
old 500 numbers. I started a thing for DH, didn't realize the color
change..so it is permanently consigned to the UFO pile.

DMC's website says they'll never discontinue a number sooooo, I wrote to
them and here's their response:

"When there are two numbers on a skein of floss like you have described
with one inside ( ), it indicates that these two colors have become so
similar over time that they can now be used interchangeably. You can
use either one to get the same exact color. Please understand that we
never do this on purpose. Unfortunately, this has happened gradually
over the years because of changing regulations of dye manufacturers and
governmental restrictions regarding the chemicals used in dyeing. (This
happens with all coloring agents even hair colors.)"

I did look on their color card and they do have the numbers in () on
there, so I printed it out & will write that's what it means.

If you'd like to do the same, here's the link:
http://dmc-usa.com/Products/Needlewo...ery-Floss.aspx

or tinyurl: http://tinyurl.com/jwpxh6p

HTH!

--