Old August 11th 09, 07:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Jim

Default Jewelry in India / Gems in India

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 19:00:58 -0700, Peter W. Rowe
discovered a keyboard and, for our
edification and amusement, submitted

From Wikipedia, as good a definition as any. Similar to Websters for all
intents and purposes...

"Chauvinism" == in its original and primary meaning,
is an exaggerated, bellicose patriotism and a blind belief in national
superiority and glory. [1] By extension it has come to include an extreme and
unreasoning partisanship on behalf of any group to which one belongs,
especially when the partisanship includes malice and hatred towards a rival
group..."

The primary definition, as you state it, Peter, smacks of "jingoism",
and I meant no such thing. Further down in Webster's unabridged 3rd
New International I find the phrase "attachment or partiality for a
group or place to which one belongs or has belonged". I wrote using
this standard, not the sense personified by Hippolytes' fictional
soldier of Napoleon.

And for the record, even if you didn't mean it as such, the term itself carries
negative connotations. Perhaps you'd care to substituted some less intense
term?

It would seem that the term "chauvinism" has become too entrnched in
your quoted definition. May I offer another antiquated phrase in its
stead? How about "pride of place"? Or does this also suggest a
super-abundance of patriotism? Respectfully submitted for your
perusal...

Jim
Blessed be, for sure...