Old October 17th 15, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Joy Beeson

Default Has anyone ever MacGyvered way to have regular sewing machine hold thread cone?

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 09:29:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

I saw a real "MacGyver" way on pintrest
they put the cone in a reusable plastic cup
with a lid with thread coming out the hole in lid
then thread the machine as u usually do.

I have a cone hanging point down over my sewing machine -- I fastened
some twill tape to it, then threw a loop of tape over the curtain rod
and pinned it to the tape sewn to the bottom of the cone.

About thirty years ago I was in a garment factory for a few minutes
and noticed that all the thread fed to the sewing machines was on
cones in racks that held them point down over the sewing machines.

But it might be that the thread itself isn't suitable for sewing
seams.

My cone is a cheap two-ply thread that I use only for basting and
break-away seams -- I used it, for example, to re-attach a pocket
after patching the fabric under it, in case the pocket got caught on a
doorknob again.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/