Old March 26th 10, 03:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
mirjam

Default wimple?

When I first read the first item I confused a "wimple" with a "snood".
According to Encyclopedia Brittanica:
"The wimple originally was adopted as a chin veil by Western women after
the crusaders brought back from the Near East such fashions as the veil
of the Muslim woman. The wimple, usually made of fine white linen or
silk, framed the face and covered the neck."
"During the Victorian era, hairnets worn for decoration were called
snoods, and this term came to mean a netlike hat or part of a hat that
caught the hair in the back. In the 1930s the name was given to a
netlike bag worn at the back of a woman’s head to hold the hair."
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney

Thank you i knew that , but it is nice to reread it , As a matter of
fact i have made Snoods , i made my first one , looking at one my
mother has kept , and than found another pattern , Both are
crocheted .
mirjam