Old June 5th 04, 06:28 AM
Doug Turner

(Brian Grimley) wrote in
om:

Another variable to interpret the "knot-in-a-sponge - warm rinse
cycle" would be the "spring" in the thread. By "spring" I mean the
force of the thread to straighten itself when bent.......

Hi Brian, I think this might be another term for "memory". A rubber
band (besides being very stretchy) has a lot of memory. You can bend or
kink it as much as you like and it will resime its initial shape.
Stainless steel wire on the other hand has little memory. Once bent or
deformed it retains that shape. This tends to make knots more secure.

... A suggestion for a generally accepted term for unravelling when not
loaded is UNL (Unravelling when Not Loaded). I think UNL trips lightly
from the tongue and acronyms are always fun and popular. :-)

Sounds good too. But what really surprises me is there is not an
already accepted term.

...As a "brain storming" suggestion, perhaps the suture should be
manufactured so that the needle and the first 1/2 of the suture are
friendly to piercing tissue. The second half changes (perhaps with
colour for identification) to have properties to reduce UNL.

Mostly a long thread is used to tie multiple sutures like you see in a
repaired skin wound. Each suture is tied near the end of the long
thread, cuting the tail off near the skin and re-using the now shortened
thread until none is left.

...If you are Doug Turner, the "orthopod", I expect, when you read
this, to hear your
groan where I live - 1/2 way around the world.

'Tis me. ...I give up...how did you find me?

Doug Turner