Old September 24th 07, 08:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default Focus on Design: Card Tricks Sep 07

I like it for baby quilts too. You can do both bright colors and
strong contrasts with it quite easily.
It also works really well as a scrappy quilt.
Card Trick and Akansas Traveler (and the assorted variations of both)
are two of my favs for a fast baby or twin quilt.

NightMist

On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 10:08:52 -0700, "Kate T."
wrote:

Hey Pat:

What a wonderful idea, just focusing on quilting. I too thought the
card trick pattern was too simple and not my style. Thinking does
change.

I needed a simple pattern to make a baby quilt. Something fast. A
new grand niece was on the way I didn't know about till the last
minute.

I looked at several simple patterns, they didn't appeal to me till I
stumbled upon the card tricks. I purchased just enough of the "baby
colors" and started making it. I got stuck for the background color
and auditioned several. I had recently purchased some medium gray
mottled fabric. It fit in perfectly with my baby colors. Once I got
the quilt top completed I thought this is not big enough, so I added a
3 inch border, that wasn't enough and looked rather plain. I had
enough baby fabric left over that I made 3 inch log cabin blocks that
I refer to as rosebuds. I placed them on point at the top and bottom
with yet another border of the gray.

Darned if it didn't turn out rather pretty. The new parents were
surprised and very happy with the quilt. I asked them if the colors
were alright or would they rather I make it in another colorway.
Nope, this is what they wanted.

I really enjoyed making it. No "y" seams. NO ripping out time and
again. The work flowed so well that I completed the top in one day
and machine quilted and bound it the next. It measured about 40 by
60.

Sorry no pictures, Amelia is now 3 years old and drags her quilt
everywhere. The parents said they were sorry for the rough treatment
but I just laughed and said finally someone is using my quilts rather
than putting them away in a closet because "they are just to pretty to
use".

It's back to work on the queen size DWR I've been working on for
almost two years. Now this is a pattern I really dislike.

Kate T. South Mississippi

--

The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the
majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with