Old February 7th 04, 05:08 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Eli" wrote in message
I thought maybe I was overreacting because it was late last night but it
looks worse this morning... I really think it's un-quiltable. The woman
who's quilting it has a long arm and if it won't lay flat, can she quilt

it?
I could cry. It's too late to start another quilt and I've already

invested

Ask the longarmer if she can quilt it. Believe me, we all see "double D cup"
quilts on a regular basis, and can often perform minor miracles. She'll be
able to tell you if this top is in the minor miracle category or if it needs
a major miracle. Depending on her experience, she also might be able to
recommend some fixes -- unfortunately, we can't see it and tug on it here
and there, so it's a bit harder for us to tell you.

As to future quilts, IMHO the key to a flat quilt is keeping it flat all
along the way. Measure and cut accurately. Sew accurately. Press accurately.
And check for flatness all along the way -- each time you sew two pieces
together and press them, look at how they are laying on the ironing board.
If there's a bobble, deal with it right then.

It sounds like you measured your borders, which is really great. So many of
my customers make a beautifully flat quilt into one that has edges like an
amusement park ride because they are sure they don't need to measure. But
one extra step you might want to take is to measure not just the middle, but
measure in three places. I'd still use the middle measurement, but if the
measurements are quite a bit off from each other, you'll know you have a
problem.

Good luck!