Old June 13th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing

Default Blanket stitch (handmade or machine-made)

In article ,
"Betty Vereen Hill" wrote:

In my meanderings on eBay, I've found numerous handmade tote bags which are
decorated with blanket stitches. In each instance, the stitching is so
perfect that one wonders if it is done by hand or machine, but I am not
aware of a sewing machine capable of producing blanket stitches, and the
stitching has a much more prominent (heavier?) appearance than ordinary
machine stitching, as if more than one thread was used. Is there such a
machine on the market? I very likely will not be able to afford it. My old
clunker will probably have to keep me happy for a long time.

Betty in GA

Yes indeed. The Berninas do wonderful blanket stitches... the 200e or
730e Artistas. IIRC, only the 9mm Bernies do a really great blanket
stitch. And I think that the 1630 was the first 9 mm Bernina but I am
not sure if it had a blanket stitch or not (it likely did). The 1630s
have a track ball and the newer machines have a touch screen. I use my
blanket stitches a lot. There are several variations, light to heavy,
and each of them can be altered. I did a butterfly applique on a knit
shirt recently and configured a very small and narrow blanket stitch for
it. The applique came out really great. It's also great on fleece
where you can make a full 9 mm wide stitch if you want. And it may be
that with directional stitching, you can go even wider than that but I
have not done that yet. 9 mm seems plenty wide enough for me.

Phae

--
I fear me you but warm the starved snake
Who, cherished in your breasts, will sting your hearts. (Henry VI,Shakespeare)