Old February 21st 17, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On 2/20/2017 12:04 PM, Violet Stitches wrote:
About a month ago I started this cross stitch:
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Silver...attern/12-1083

snip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6mWyo4z10&t=1s

I don't think I've ever gridded (there's no past tense for grid???
evidently it's not a verb even though we use it as one all the time
here!) aida cloth, since it's pretty easy to count.

I have gridded linen (28 & 32 ct), though, a number of times. That
video, to me, seems a bit cumbersome way to do it. Find the center of
your fabric vertically and horizontally by folding it in half and start
there, gridding outwards in blocks of ten. Check your pattern, too, to
see if your center lines are on a dark line or somewhere in the center
of a block...it might be easier to follow if you put your grid lines so
they match the dark lines of your pattern (ask me how I came up with
that trick! LOL).

If you want to see an example, check out our Firehouse angel project, an
rctn group effort after 9/11:
http://firehouse.heritageshoppe.com/historyA.html

I did not grid that, but it shows a good example of what my gridded
fabric looks like.

The design dictates to me whether or not to grid. If it's pretty full,
then I don't. If it's got a lot of open spaces (like yours), I would.
For me, it's definitely worth the time to grid, rather than having to
pull stitches out (multiple times) later.

One thing with linen, is if you hold the needle right up to the fabric,
you can see it shining through so you can tell if you're going straight
or not. As you've found, good lighting is a necessity.

HTH and good luck! As ever, if you have any more questions, we're happy
to try answering them.

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures