Old February 21st 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

Nancy, I saw your piece when I was scrolling through the photos...you did a great job on it!

I sit in my chair with my high intensity halogen lamp blasting light onto my linen, and magnifying glasses *on top* of my regular glasses. (I would like to warn others not to put your magnifying glasses on top of your head with the hot lamp blaring down...I actually set my freaking hair on fire doing that!) I'm so impressed that anyone over 40 can stitch at all. I never anticipated eyesight being such a problem...oh the nativity of youth.

Does anyone here stitch on Aida? I've only used linen for many years, but I wonder now with the eyesight problem if it'd be worth it to take another look at Aida. I've seen some really pretty Aida's online but have never bothered actually buying some and trying it out.

What's your verdict on Aida: cheap and ugly, or a decent fabric for our stitching?