Old February 20th 17, 09:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
D J

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 1:04:52 PM UTC-5, Violet Stitches wrote:
About a month ago I started this cross stitch:
http://www.123stitch.com/item/Silver...attern/12-1083

It looked simple and quick, but I made so many mistakes on that big snowflake on the right I ended up having to rip it out three times...the third time I ended up ripping the linen so bad I had to THROW THE PROJECT OUT. In over 20 years of stitching that has never happened to me!

This experience gave me pause, and I decided to looking into gridding my fabric (I've never done it before). It was horrible gridding on linen and I thought I was going to go blind. No matter how careful I was I ended up one hole off, and after five hours of this frustration I gave up.

I think I might just grid the snowflake part and not the entire linen when I try this piece again. I honestly wonder if gridding takes more time and effort than ripping out mistakes or starting over.

Do you guys grid? Do you do it on linen? I used the below tutorial for learning how to grid, but do you have any other suggestions to make it easier?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6mWyo4z10&t=1s

I tried gridding a couple of times too. I didn't like it.

I enlarge my patterns now. Try going to a copy place like Kinko's or some place that makes business cards. They will most likely have a printer that will be able to enlarge your pattern.

I also tried stitching on 32 count linen a couple of times over ten years ago, when my eyes were a lot younger. I decided that 28 count was fine enough for my stitching to look like a painting from 10 feet away. So that is mostly the count I use everything, including my long time WIP, TW "The Castle".

The sampler that you picked does look beautifully simple and quick. Don't stress so much over your stitching. Someone once told me that when people look at my artwork that the pattern will NOT be around for them to look at. There fore they won't see any mistakes or changes that I've made to the pattern. They just see the beautiful artwork that I have made with my own two hands.

Stash grows out of the bins!!!
Maybe that's why I'm always buying more bins!!! LOL

Dawn