View Single Post
Old February 20th 17, 08:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Violet Stitches
external usenet poster

Default cross stitch lovers: to grid or not to grid?

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 1:59:55 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I never grid. To me it takes too much time from actual stitching. I am more a "relational" stitcher, that is I check to see that my stitches are where they belong - this stitch is 2 spaces to the left of this stitch and 1 space above that stitch. I also find it helpful to enlarge my pattern, especially if it's a complicated one and to highlight the stitches that I have done. I love the Sampler you're doing. In fact I've debated about getting it, but my Stash is growing out of its containers as it is!

Pat in SJ

Thanks for the reply Pat! How do you blow up the charts? Do you scan it in the computer and use some kind of software to get it bigger? My scanner is so ridiculously complicated to use I don't know if I can manage it.

If only there was a way to enlarge the *linen* holes. I'm doing this piece on 32 count and even with magnifiers on it's tough. I've always been a relational stitcher as well, but sometimes I get into trouble when there's a lot of stitches hanging out in open space (like in this piece).

The first time I sewed the snowflake I put in in relation to the word "spring," but I had that word two stitches off. So I ripped it out and resewed it in relation to the words "its," but then had that word one stitch off. The third time I had the snowflake in the right spot, but screwed up the inner design of it.

Anyone who can manage to grid 32 count linen should receive some kind of award, and probably has bionic eyes.

PS Is your stash getting too big? That's never happened to me.
Ads