Old February 12th 10, 04:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

Default Silver Blueing

Yep sulphur. It's a problem with modern society. There's not much that
you can do about it.

I suppose you could wash your cutlery in a natural soap and hot water.

Regards Charles

Jack Schmidling wrote:
I lost my access to usenet so I kind of lost track of this group.

As some of you may remember, I made some hand forged flatware a few
years ago.

details: http://schmidling.com/silver.htm

We use the knife and fork at dinner every day and it gets washed with
soap and a Scotchbrite sponge so it stays clean and bright.

In the past few months we have noticed that the tines show a blue
color reminiscent of the tempering stages while hand forging.

It takes a bit of an effort to get rid of but in a few days it comes
back again but only the tines.

It has been at least 5 years since I made these but the tines never
looked any different from the rest of the fork and this problem just
started a few months ago.

Any ideas?

Jack Schmidling

Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber, Gems,