Old June 8th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
David Billington

Default forming a large diameter tube

Permafacture wrote:
I was thinking about how to slump a large diameter tube from a flat
plane of glass. I have little experience with glass working and dont
know to what degree this is workable...

You'd take a piece of float glass, from like a window and slump it
over a ceramic tube you made/found as a form. Put it in the kiln and
let it soften and after its really gooy pull it out for a second and
use poles to roll the hanging edges together. The maybe flip it so
the seam is on top and put it back in the kiln.

?

Is this at all how you would form a large diameter tube from found
resources?
What size kiln do glass workers usually have; what is the widest sheet
i might be able to work?
can it be anealed in the same kiln it was slumped in?

thanks!

I'm no expert but I have seen pictures of large tube shaped parts
slumped from flat. The parts had a length maybe 5 times, from memory,
greater than the diameter, so what you require may be possible without
the roll up technique. The roll up sounds like the reverse of the old
tcchnique for producing flat glass where a cylinder was blown and split
an unrolled to form a flat sheet.