Old October 22nd 03, 11:53 AM
Trishty

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 01:52:48 GMT, Mike Behrent wrote:

The nagajuban can be any color that contrasts pleasantly with the kimono.

snip

I look terrible in proper obis, so I just make a long sash, about 3in wide,
usually cut on the bias. It is a very Western look, really. Obis are
beautiful, but they're kind of meant to keep you bolt upright, especially
kneeling to eat, and they're hard to wear in a chair or for driving - you
can see why they're dying out in Japan, too, except for formal wear.

I found the book Make Your Own Japanese Clothes (by John Marshall) very
useful and refer to it all the time. My favourite garment is a hanten
jacket with back box pleat and makisode sleeve - this is a fab way of not
cutting into precious fabric and is hugely comfortable to wear. The jacket
with extensions that makes a triangular-shaped top is also very nice, and
I've made a few hipparis to wear while working - the elastic edge cuff is
more convenient than a standard kimono sleeve.

Trish